The Cornish Candle Company collection encompasses a high-end selection of carefully selected blends – each are unique, inspired by regional scents and exclusively hand blended in Cornwall. From the tranquility of the Roseland, to the flourishing Fowey, the locality offers no shortage of inspiration.
Made entirely by hand, we use both age-old skills and the latest technical knowledge.
. . . . .
Our candles are not mass-produced in a large industrial set-up. Each is carefully crafted in our small Cornish workshop. Even our wicks are hand straightened and primed. Staying true to the Chandlers of early times, our candles are hand melted, hand mixed, and hand poured, with a sentimental dedication to craft and experience being observed in all of our work.
We take great pride in supporting British artisans and manufacturers for our packaging and components, collaborations and accessories.
. . . . .
In a world of space exploration, 4th generation technology, and all the wonders of the modern world, we love the fact that a candle remains a candle, and evokes the same as it always has – nostalgia, warmth, calm and ambiance.
It is not widely appreciated is just how much careful craftsmanship and immense patience goes into creating premium candles. Each new scent is tested to determine the precise formula of oils, wick size and wax blend that will best disperse the aroma subtly. Testing never ceases – even when a candle formulation has been made, monitoring continues all the time – a different selection of raw materials could affect this delicate balance.
Our Cornish Beeswax and paraffin blend is not hazardous to your health, do not pose any adverse effects to the environment and the burning of our candles do not emit any hazardous substances. The wax used to make our candles comes from highly refined materials and does not contain any harmful substances. This purity fulfils highest quality demands and is tested on a regular basis.
. . . . .
There are a lot of myths surrounding soy candles. Most of these are designed to sell soy candles better, and have very little truth in them. Most soy candles are not 100 percent natural. Since soy wax is softer than other waxes, chemical hardeners are added to make the wax more durable. In addition, many of the dyes and fragrances used in soy candles are not 100 percent natural. Even if a soy candle contains only 100 percent natural ingredients, it does not mean it is safer or healthier. Many naturally occurring plants and substances have been proven toxic to humans and animals, even in small amounts.
. . . . .
The combination of wax and oils that we use give us the longest burn times and cleanest burns around. Because the blend of beeswax we use burns at a lower temperature it gives a much better fragrance release as the burn pool is not burnt off quickly. As every candle is handmade from start to finish, you can be sure of the best quality product. We use a bespoke luxurious formula for each and every candle. The Cornish beeswax emulates natural undertones of the wildflower, clover and bramble, and the depth of quality woody fragrance differs according to what the bees are pollinating on. This is then blended with a refined premium paraffin wax that has been filtered by hand, and combines to give a superior and quality burn.
Our chandler is ready to reply to your queries or special requests, please use this contact form, or email – enquiries [at] thecornishcandlecompany.com – replacing the ‘at’ symbol (we’re trying to avoid spam).
Our workshop incorporates a little treasury of bespoke pieces and a complete candle refill service. Visits by appointment, 5 mins from Trelissick Gardens.
The form was successfuly sent!
The validation of the form was not successful!
There was an error sending the form, try again later or contact your system administrator.
OUR LITTLE TIPS
- Before lighting your candle, keep wicks trimmed to a nice short 6mm at all times. By shortening the wick you allow it to burn more slowly and also avoid unsightly black smoke marks around the edge of the votive.
- Do not burn candles for longer than four hours or less than one hour – To obtain an optimum burn always allow the entire surface of the candle to become molten as this will ensure an even burn and prevent tunnelling.
- It goes without saying, (but we still do like to reiterate it), never leave a lit candle unattended. This could be a fire risk.
- Always place your candle on a level, heat resistant, non-flammable surface away from fabric.
- Do not place your candle on a marble or glass surface. If the bottom of the hot candle glass comes in contact with a cold material, the glass may well crack.
- Keep candles out of reach from children and animals.
- Keep wax pool free from debris such as match ends and wick trimmings.
- Avoid placing a candle in a draughty area as this lends to an uneven burn.
- Allow your candle to solidify before re-lighting and always protect the surface on which the candle rests.